The arts are an important part of what makes a community special. They draw people together, build community pride, and enhance quality of life.
Specifically, what can the arts do for a community?
- The arts can be used to restore and refurbish historic buildings
- The arts can be used to encourage the sale of redeveloped properties
- The arts can be used to bring attention to empty store fronts and rental properties
- Community areas can be revitalized with engaging works of public art
- The arts can attract locals and visitors to an area by providing access to professional artists and interesting arts programming
- The arts can be part of mutually beneficial collaborations such as arts & healthcare, arts & business, arts & government
- The arts can encourage businesses to relocate to the area.
The arts are an important part of what makes Orange County special. Some community arts programs organized by the Orange County Arts Council include:
- The Functional Sculpture Exhibit at Safe Harbors Green in Newburgh (Sculpture Artist Bios here)
- The Orange County Open Studio Tours: Encouraging people to visit and learn about the artists who live here
- The Orange County Dance Celebration: Highlighting dance organizations and dancers from across the county
- Grass-roots fund-raising events for local arts projects called SPARK
- The Annual Orange County Art Awards: Honoring community members who are doing good work in, and through, the arts